Dr. Andrew Lofman is starting a new series in which he walks us through the entire process of deciding whether plastic surgery is right for you, and what to expect during the following recovery period. The third procedure he wanted to focus on was a body lift after the patient has lost a large amount of weight.
Before we get into the before and after photos, we want to make sure you understand body lift or contouring procedure. Surgical body contouring following major weight loss removes excess sagging fat and skin while improving the shape of the underlying support tissue. The result is a more normal appearance with smoother contours.
Dramatic weight loss has many benefits. But after weight reduction surgery, or any substantial amount of weight loss, the skin and tissues often lack the elasticity to conform to the reduced body size.
From Dr. Lofman:
A 39 year old female that had lost over 100 lbs came into my office for a consultation to discuss having a body lift.
Do you have questions about a body lift and want to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lofman?
When to Consider Plastic Surgery after Dramatic Weight Loss
- If you have experienced dramatic weight loss from bariatric surgery or diet and exercise.
- If you have sagging skin in multiple areas, including the face and neck, breasts, arms, abdomen, back and thighs.
- If your weight has stabilized following bariatric surgery or diet and exercise. This may be 18 months or more after your weight loss.
During your consultation Dr. Andrew Lofman will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Evaluate the elasticity of your skin.
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of a body lift and any risks or potential complications
It’s very important to understand all aspects of your body lift surgery. It’s natural to feel some anxiety, whether it’s excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don’t be shy about discussing these feelings with Dr.Lofman.
To set up an appointment for a consultation please call (248) 540-2100 or fill out the consultation form and our office will respond to you shortly.